Friday, January 25, 2013

Knitted Skinny Scarf - dedicated to Marion

Wednesday I received news that I knew was coming but not prepared to hear.  My dear friend, Marion, passed away.  I met Marion when we both were working in Colorado (1992/1993).  She retired and stayed in Colorado and I came back to New Mexico, but we never lost touch.  She'd come visit me and I'd go visit her.  We even went on a cruise to Alaska together.  She was a great friend and a surrogate mother figure. The photos of the wild horses were taken on the way up/back from visiting Marion.

She taught me to knit.  Every stitch I make I'll whisper her name and thank her for being such a great friend.

I think I'll call this pattern Marion's Scarf.
I knitted this scarf using a pattern that Marion gave me.  I don't know if it's an original pattern or if it's something she had come across in her many years of knitting experience.  It's easy peasy (one of my favorite sayings) so I hope those knitters among you will try it.  The knitting has a slant to it which adds a bit of flair to the plain garter stitch.  Because of the natural slant of the stitching it makes those great pointed ends.

You can make this scarf as skinny or as wide as you like.  The yarn I used is Loops & Threads Country Loom.  This yarn is machine washable and dryable.   For this yarn I used size 11 needles.

Cast on 15 stitches.
Row 1:  Knit two together (K2Tog), knit to last stitch, knit in front and back of last stitch
Row 2: Knit
Continue with Row 1 and 2 until you reach the desired length of your scarf.  
Bind Off
Weave in loose ends

Now there's a trick in case you lose track of which row you are on.  The tail will be at the top of the knitting if you are on Row 1.  

I hope you give it a try.  Let me know how it comes out!

Rest in Peace Marion.

Kay

11 comments:

SandeeNC said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I remember when you went to visit her and posted the wild horse pictures. I am sure she is smiling down at you when you are knitting and thinking of you too! (((hugs))) waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

scrappymo! said...

Sorry to hear of the passing of your dear friend.
It is a wonderful tribute to her that you became such a good knitter. I love that you have named your scarf pattern after her.

Hope she is watching over you still and happy to see you knitting!

Di said...

Oh Kay, I'm truly so sorry to hear about Marion. I know what a dear friend she was - it's so sweet that you've named your pattern after her. Love and hugs, Di xx

Roudi said...

Oh Kay, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
What a sweet thing to do, naming your pattern after her.

Love and miss you so much. xx
Roudi

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Ah, Kay, you will miss her so much...but thinking of her every time you knit is a sure fire way of keeping her memory alive. I'd like to be remembered that way!
Sending big hugs and love your way. I know you'll be feeling sad now.
By the way, I have never heard of that stitch before (and I have knitted a lot in my life) it's so effective and EASY! It will be known as Marion's Stitch by me too :)
Jan xxxx

okienurse said...

I feel for you friend! I had a dear friend named Pauline that was a mother to me, grandmother to my children and I loved her dearly. Pauline never had a child of her own or a husband and we filled a gap for her too! Love the scarf and I am sure she is sitting in Heaven loving it too! {{hugs}}

Julia Dunnit said...

Rest in Peace Marion. So sorry to read of your loss Sue. Remembering her as you knit is a great tribute, so lasting.

toni said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend, i' m sure she must have been happy to know how much she inspired your creativity and how much her friendship was valued x

Connie said...

Dear Sweet Kay, I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Keeping her memory alive with your scarf and your knitting is a lovely way to remember. I wish that I could give you a big hug. I'm sure that Marion is smiling down on you.
Sending you much love.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Connie said...

Hi Kay, dear friends and family that pass on ahead of us . . . are the treasures that are waiting in heaven.
Marion is enjoying the "Good Life" and you will see her again :)
Have a wonderful week.
I'll be thinking of you when I put on my red top . . . because you'll be doing the same. Spread the word . . . women need to be aware of our symptoms and what we can be doing to live heart healthy.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Craftychris said...

oh I am so sorry to hear about your friend Marion - its so sad to lose a friend. I love 'Marion's scarf' its fabulous. Take care. Big hugs. Christine xx