Friday, October 5, 2012

La Veta Pass, Colorado

I'm visiting a friend in Colorado.  The drive up yesterday was beautiful.  The apsen trees are amazing this time of year.
Hello mountains.  Is that snow?

When the wind goes through the leaves they look like shimmering gold.  Just beautiful.  I drove over La Veta Pass.   The elevation is 9,242 feet.  The pass traverses between Culebra and the Sangre de Criso mountain range of south-central Colorado.

Train tracks were first laid on the pass in 1877.  The D&RG railroad describes the track traveling from Pueblo to Alamosa as the "Scenic Line of the World."  This was the first high mountain pass the D&RG built and was exclaimed around the world as an engineering marvel.

I didn't get a photo of the train tracks (maybe on the way home).  They follow the ridgeline of this mountain.  I didn't know the history until looking up facts about La Veta Pass.  
It was a brrr 28 degrees this morning.  When I left New Mexico I had my air conditioning going - now the heater.  I should have brought a heavier sweater too!  Snow is predicted for Saturday and Sunday.  Yikes!

I hope you enjoy your weekend.  

Peace,
Kay


12 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

So jealous. I can't believe I was in Colorado less than two months ago and the mountain areas were so green. Before when I have been in august they were dry and dusty.
Enjoy the time with your friend.
Have a great weekend.
hugs {brenda} xox

Redanne said...

Lovely photos Kay, the trees are gorgeous. That is quite a change in the weather for you, you will just have to buy a sweater there.......enjoy your time there. Crafty hugs, Anne x

Di said...

Oh Kay, I wish we were there with you right now, How fabulous - enjoy, take time to smell the flowers, enjoy time with your friend and come home refreshed and safe. Love, Di xx

fairy thoughts said...

This looks fabulous worth getting s bit chilly for
janet

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed seeing the gold trees and the bits of gold popping through the green. What a lovely view.

I had fun reading about the dog adoptions and Ace Ventura. It must have been a lot of fun because it was a really rewarding day. I love to see dogs get a forever home because they need all the love and attention we can give them. Just wanted to add that even though I have chosen a forever cat, it doesn't mean I don't like/love dogs.

okienurse said...

beautiful pictures! I really loved living north of Denver but I don't miss those get cold early temps. Goes with the altitude. I like the flat, arid, landscapes of southwest Texas and southeast New Mexico best though! How have you been? Vickie

Connie said...

Hi Kay, I just love how you are so free to just hop in your car and head out on a road trip. My mother was like that. She wasn't one bit afraid to just pack a bag and take off across the country all by her self. I've traveled to places maybe the longest about 400 miles, to see my daughter, but you are always taking a road trip. I admire your bravery and your gypsy spirit. I also love, love, love tagging along, by way of the internet. Have a wonderful trip and a great visit with your friend. Wish wishes, Connie :)

Connie said...

Hi Kay, thank so much for stopping by . . . now, get on with enjoying our trip :). Wish I were there to see the aspens in their bright yellow glow. Be safe, Connie :)

May said...

Stunning pics, WOW!! just beautiful.. have a super time with your friend...Enjoy!!! Hugs May x x x

SandeeNC said...

Those yellow trees are gorgeous Kay, wow! I'm wondering if you got any snow pictures for us too :) waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

toni said...

WOW Kay you live in a beautiful country, fabulous inspiration from the colour of those trees,and the wild horses ! how special.x

UScities said...

cross posted on - Colorado Happenings



Colorado Happenings